Benning shines in defensive battle against Wildcats

Gage Vondra

The Westside boys basketball team came out of last Friday’s game against Millard West with a hard-fought and defensive win. The Warriors won 54-44, led by Kevin Stubblefield’s 12 points and Caleb Benning’s 10.

Westside struggled shooting, with 27% of 3’s falling. The Warriors turned their offensive focus to driving to the basket, and would get fouled, but struggled shooting from the line at 53%.

“We wanted to get back to what we do, and that starts with defense,” senior Caleb Benning said, “We weren’t shooting it well. We were getting downhill, getting fouled but we couldn’t make free throws.”

The Warriors strong defensive effort counted towards their win. Holding Millard West to 44 points with 17 turnovers.

“When shots aren’t falling, you’ve got to buy in on the defensive end, we did a very good job of that,” Benning said.

Westside has a full week to prepare before facing their rival team Creighton Prep. Their practice philosophy remains the same, however. For the warriors, every day is another opportunity to get better.

“Just doing what we do,” Benning said. “Building good habits. It starts with defense, and the defense helps our offense get better looks in transition and get our shooters going early. It starts on defense and it starts on Monday with a good week of preparation.” 

Westside’s struggles from deep against Millard West are a rare sight, as this team has been one of the best shooting teams in the metro. Westside has shot 34% from deep on the season, and 60% on two point FG shots. This shooting has kept the Warriors in games and has given them the ability to start games hot.

Westside will play Creighton Prep next Friday at home. The Warriors will play a highly ranked prep team in a tough matchup.

“We’re glad they’ve got to come here,” Benning said. “They haven’t beat us here in a long time. We’re looking to keep that streak rolling. We know its a big game, and we’ve got a whole week to prepare.”