Girls basketball team defeats down bulldogs

Westside girls basketball is off to a fairly decent start to the season sitting at .500 with a record of 2-2.  

The Warriors dropped their first regular season game to a top team in the state with a 61-56 loss.  They earned back to back wins over North Platte and Gretna.  After these back to back wins, Westside lost on the road to Kearney.

Head Coach Steve Clark hasn’t let some of the early struggles deter his confidence in the team even coming off a loss.

“I feel really excited about this team and the season,” Clark said.  “I also think we let a good game against a top 10 team get away from us.  We played really well and Lincoln Northeast did a good job of finishing that game.” 

Going into their game against Gretna the plan was to match the Dragon’s aggression with their own.

“We will need to stay composed against their pressure and physicality,” Clark said.  “Our defense will have to be focused in communication where the scorers are at all times.”

Westside did a good job matching aggression with aggression coming out with a win over Gretna 66-50.

Senior point guard Sydney Hagen believes that the Warriors have a few key mistakes on offense that they need to clean up in order to get over the hump and back into the win column. 

“On offense we just panic,” Hagen said. “We have wide open shooters who are really great that we should get the ball to, to help us stay consistent.”

Even with the ups and downs to the season Westside still has the opportunity to get one more win before the Nike Tournament of Champions when they take on Omaha Northwest on the road Friday, Dec. 15.