Strong academics attracted senior basketball transfer

Alayna Vaughn

The girls basketball team has a lot of bright spots on this year’s team, but none brighter than transfer Kara Stricklin. The senior guard transferred from Bellevue East for her final year of high school. 

The decision to transfer for Stricklin, is not what you would expect for a star athlete. Westside’s strong academic program was a major attraction for her transfer. 

“When we played here last year, my dad saw a kid setting up video equipment and he asked him about the school,” Stricklin said. “He said they had a good journalism program, and I want to do something with journalism after high school, so I thought it would be in my best interest to come here, because at Bellevue East journalism wasn’t popular.”

When Stricklen chose to transfer to Westside, the coaches were ecstatic. However, with all great news there’s always a level of risk, and the coaches felt that. Assistant coach Karolyn Cahill says there was some uncertainty on how she’d fit with the team. 

“From a coaching perspective just the excitement to add another scorer to the list,” Cahill said. “But also unsure and hoping that a kid will fit in and teammates will be good.”

Stricklin is the true definition of a student-athlete, choosing to transfer for academics but also being a star athlete at Westside. In her first two games in a Warrior uniform Stricklin has 41 points, including a 32-point game against Lincoln Northeast. Stricklen says it’s about carrying over her success from last season at Bellevue East. Coach Cahill credits her work ethic for her ability to produce on a new team. 

“She’s the first one in the gym,” Cahill said. “Last one out, hard worker, does everything we ask her to do, picks up her teammates and she does all the little things that make it easy to be a teammate with her.”

Most players set goals for themselves, but Stricklin’s are clear and concise. The senior wants to be the best player she can possibly be and always allow for improvement. 

“As a team I’d say make it out of districts,” Stricklin said. “Personally if we do make it out of districts, make the All-State team.”

The Warriors jumped out to a 1-1 start on the year. WIth lots of talent on the team they believe they can achieve many great things. Cahill believes the puzzle is almost complete. 

“The ultimate goal is obviously to make the state tournament and then the state championship,” Cahill said. “But I think the biggest thing for this team is to play at the caliber we know they can. We just gotta put some pieces together.” 

Stricklin and the rest of the Warriors continue the season Friday Dec. 8, at home against Gretna at 5:30 p.m.