Girls basketball prepares for new season

Westside Girls Basketball had an overall record of 7-16 last season.  There were some highs to the season with the team upsetting the No. 8 team in the state Millard West, but there were also some lows to the season when they started off with a 3-7 record throughout their first 10 games.

Even coming off of a not so good season last year the team still has the potential to make something happen this year.

The team was led by junior guard Kimora Jenkins and senior guard Sydney Hagen.  However, Jenkins suffered an injury in the middle of the season and was out for the rest of the season.

The junior guard is really excited to be back in action, and is looking forward to displaying the things that she has worked on in the off season on the court this year.

“We have a lot of younger new players and like transfers so I feel like we’re more competitive,” said Jenkins.  “This group works harder, more than the last group, and we just want it more.”

Jenkins is the record holder for three pointers made in a game with eight, but this didn’t stop her hunger for wanting to improve her shooting even more in the offseason.

“I always work on my shooting just trying to improve, getting my shot off faster, off the movie shots, just shooting,” said Jenkins.

The team will have a different makeup with the addition of transfers senior Kara Stricklin, junior Kathryn Gaughen, and senior Mackenna Bush.   With this different makeup some adjustments will have to be made.

Those adjustments will be made by head coach Steve Clark this season.  Clark has had a successful tenure as head coach  winning the state championship in 2015 and then again in 2018.

“We will be improved offensively with our ability to attack the rim, and shoot the ball,” said Clark.  “Defensively we have been more aggressive this off season.”

With a team of mostly upperclassmen, experience will come to play when facing adversity in the season.

“I think our experience will be a big benefit this season,” said Clark.  “We only graduated two players last year, so the returners will be a year older, along with Kara, Kat, and Kenna having varsity experience will make a big difference this season.”

With Westside competing in the Metro Conference they will be competing against the top competition in the state almost every week.

“The Metro is always a challenge,” said Clark.  “The top rated Metro teams to start the season will probably be Bellevue West, Millard West, Millard North, Omaha Central, along with a number of other quality teams.”

The Warriors have the potential to shock a lot of teams in the Metro this season.  They have their first opportunity to start the season in the win column in their jamboree game versus Skutt Catholic this Saturday, Nov. 25.