Westside swimming mother coaches son for senior season

Coaching, to anyone it may be someone that they met at their first practice, or someone that was chosen for them. To Westside senior Nate Germonprez his coach means just a little bit more. 

Liz Germonprez, Nate’s mother, was chosen to be his coach just recently in his swimming career, as she has been coaching him since he was 16-years-old. 

Liz Germonprez has all the qualifications that allow her to coach her son. Liz is a Texas A&M graduate, where she won a bronze medal in the 1993 Southwest Conference Championships. She also coached at the high school and college level.  Liz expressed her gratitude towards Nate and being his coach. 

“I feel really lucky to coach Nate, especially now that he’s close to graduation and leaving for Texas,” Liz said. “Being able to coach him has given us a chance to spend tons of time together doing the one thing that he loves most, swimming.” 

Nate has grown strong in his swimming career and in 2021 Germonprez qualified for the Olympic Swim Trials here in Omaha. Then a short time later Germonprez qualified again for the 2024 trials and a spot at the Olympics. Germonprez says he didn’t know that he qualified until later that day. 

“It was still a good feeling but It wasn’t my focus for the race,” Germonprez said. “I remember finishing the race and not even knowing that I qualified and that it wasn’t until a bit after where I put it together that I qualified again.”

Swimming like any sport can be mentally tough as you are going up against others as well as yourself. Sometimes your toughest competitor may not be the person in the lane next to you, it may be your own mind. 

“What I find most inspirational about Nate is his ability to compete under intense pressure, again and again,” Liz said. “Nothing about this sport is easy. It’s humbling, often painful (both mentally and physically) and can be very discouraging. Once in a while, it’s incredibly rewarding! I’m inspired by his commitment to the sport and his willingness to “put it all on the line” meet after meet and race after race to become the athlete that he dreams and trains to become.”

Liz’s influence has already made an impact in the pool. Nate won a gold and silver medal at the Speedo USA Swimming Winter Junior Championships-West in Austin between Dec. 7-10.  Nate won the 100 breaststroke in 52.59, which bettered his school record of 55.29. He was also the runner-up in the 200 individual medley, where he was timed in 1:42.82 and lowered his school record of 1:48.33. Having your parents be your coach may be odd for some, but Nate has shown that his mother becoming his coach has benefited his swimming as a whole. 

“Having my mom as my coach was definitely weird to get used to though I think it came with its benefits,” Germonprez says. “I’m able to communicate much more easily with what I think the team and swimmers need which helps towards making improvements as a whole.”

The next step for Germonprez is college, as he committed to the University of Texas to continue his swimming career. Even though his mother will not be able to be his actual coach she will still be coaching and rooting for him from the stands. 

“I expect that Nate will love continuing his swim career in Texas,” Liz said. “He’ll be training with some of the best swimmers in the world, with amazing coaches in an incredible facility. I expect it will be a life-changing experience in regard to training, competition and being a part of the brotherhood that is Texas swimming.”

Nate returns to high school competition on Saturday, Dec. 17, when the Warriors compete in the Lincoln Southeast Invitational. Look for Nate to reach milestones as he continues his final season for the Westside swim team.