Rose Kent: The Candy Woman of Westside

Rose+Kent+gives+her+%E2%80%9Clittle+act+of+candy%E2%80%9D+to+student++Reginald+Thomas+to+brighten+his+day.+

Sammy Marvin

Rose Kent gives her “little act of candy” to student Reginald Thomas to brighten his day.

To most people, Rose Kent is just a high school hallway supervisor. But, to the students of Westside, she is much more; she is the Candy Woman of Westside.

Kent has been making an impact on Westside students for decades by handing out candy in the halls during the school day. Kent explained that her job always offers something new and exciting.

“The fact that I get up in the morning and do not mind coming to work [is my favorite part],” Kent said. “There’s always something new here, I do love these kids and it’s not about the money, you have to like your job.” 

Kent said she believes that giving out candy to students can single-handedly improve their day.

If you can take one kid, and that kid can turn the corner, that is the biggest reward.

— Rose Kent

“I think [giving out candy] makes a positive impact,” Kent said. “First of all, if somebody just gives you something for doing nothing, that’s just kind of how life should be sometimes. Sometimes you just get a treat and it helps the day go by.” 

These kind gestures started back when Kent first worked in the kitchen. When she bought snacks and food for some of the kids who didn’t have the money, the feedback was always warming. She liked the idea of being able to turn someone’s day around. 

“I got such a positive response from the kids and they were very appreciative,” Kent said. “I thought, ‘You know what, if a kid is having a bad day, somebody giving you something as little as a piece of candy can make a whole difference.’ It can make you think, ‘Oh this day isn’t so horrible.’”

While there are several positive aspects of Kent’s job, she still has to face many challenges throughout the school year. Kent said she often encounters students that need help getting back to a good place and that it can be hard for her to get them to want to turn the corner. 

Kent added that there are many great parts of her job, but making an impact on kids who are struggling at school is by far the best.

“I do love [the events] and it’s my favorite part of all of this, but when I can take a kid that’s really struggling and turn that corner, that makes you feel like the whole job is worth it,” Kent said. “Like I said, the money doesn’t matter. If you can take one kid, and that kid can turn the corner, that is the biggest reward.” 

Several students at Westside have experienced the positive impact Kent has made on the school first-hand. Sophomore Orion Kucirek explained that Kent has made a positive impact on the school by approaching problems in a way that students are more likely to have a positive reaction to. 

I think she is a very lovely person and I can tell she makes a lot of people’s days better.

— Sophomore Emily Peraza

“I think she has made a good impact on the school because she doesn’t yell at us, but she does tell us if we are doing something wrong politely,” Kucirek said. 

Sophomore Emily Peraza also expressed that Kent is a great person and has shown that supervisors don’t always have to be intimidating. 

“I think she is a very lovely person and I can tell she makes a lot of people’s days better,” Peraza said. “She’s overall nice and knows how to get along with the students. I think she’s made the school a better place and she shows that supervisors don’t have to be scary.”