Red Shield Hopeful to Get Back in the Stadium

This years Red Shield squad is hopeful that COVID-19 restrictions wont hold them back from the student section state championship three-peat.

Deyo's Photography

This year’s Red Shield squad is hopeful that COVID-19 restrictions won’t hold them back from the student section state championship three-peat.

The global pandemic is the only thing standing between Red Shield and a three-peat in student section state championships. Due to COVID-19 related restrictions, the hype squad along with the rest of the student section is unable to attend football games. Red Shield leader Barrett Mooney said the student section is vital to the fan experience at games.

“The Red Shield and student section are important because we can provide students with fun experiences outside [of] the classroom,” Mooney said. “We promote school spirit, and I believe that makes us a positive influence on the other students, especially underclassmen.”

Varsity football player Tommy Connelly agreed that football games aren’t the same without Red Shield and the student section.

“Not having Red Shield [there] changes the atmosphere,” Connelly said.

Connelly added that having the team stay loud on the sidelines helps their gameplay stay energetic and aggressive.

“I don’t think we play different,” Connelly said. “A big thing for us is having whoever is on the sideline to keep the energy high. Having them make noise is pretty big for us.”

Red Shield leader Jack Moseman said he’s excited to see what the freshmen will bring to the high school student section.

“We are a back to back state champion student section, and that is no coincidence,” Moseman said. “We want our freshman to come and show the same level of spirit and energy as Red Shield does. But most of all, we want them to have a great experience.”

Moseman said they have been staying in touch with Athletics Director Tom Kerkman and that they are hopeful that their squad, along with the rest of the student section, will be back in the stadium soon.

“We are eager to get students back in the stadium,” Moseman said. “However, we recognize that student safety is paramount.”