Westside Football Program To Host Open House For Eighth Graders

Image courtesy of Westside Community Schools' Twitter

The Westside football program is hosting an open house for eighth grade students to attend on Wednesday, March 4.

Westside High School’s Football Program is hosting an open house for all eighth graders at Westside Middle School or other middle schools to get to know the football program as well as the high school in general. Head Varsity Football Coach Brett Froendt holds the event to recruit and educate the 8th graders about the high school. The event will take place on Wednesday, March 4 from 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. in the Little Theater, room 271, at Westside High School. 

“We invited all 8th graders from the middle school and any eighth graders that want to get a preview of what Westside is all about and what the program is all about,” Froendt said. 

Froendt said that it is important to start recruiting students that will be attending Westside next year, or have an interest in attending Westside next year, and let them know about what the school and football program have to offer. 

“It’s important to start recruiting our own kids because other schools are recruiting our kids and our kids at the middle school and parents don’t know much about the high school and much about the program,” Froendt said. 

Froendt said that this event is a great way for the coaches to recruit new football players for next school year and introduce them to the other coaches and players.

“[This event is] the best way to get them exposed in a short amount of time to what we offer,” Froendt said.

Froendt said that this event will give parents and students a better understanding as to what Westside High School has to offer. 

“[The event will cover] everything that Westside High School has to offer,” Froendt said. “All the programs, modular scheduling and just tell them about the high school and all the great things the high school has; more importantly what the football program has to offer their son.”

Westside junior and varsity football player Will Hurtado said that he encourages all eighth graders interested in football to attend the event.

“Eighth graders should come to the open house to meet coaches and the older players,” Hurtado said.