Art Students Recognized with Scholastic Art Awards

Art student Daniel Wood displays one of his award winning pieces.

The Scholastic Art Awards is an award show for high school art students who are talented and show creativity in their pieces. The award ceremony took place last Saturday,  Mar. 2. Each student who is entered into the competition enters by their grade and the medium of their pieces. A medium of art is the materials an artist uses to create a work of art.  The award show is an open gallery walk through with an onstage ceremony to give students recognition.

“The judges change every year,” said Art Instructor Liz Hough. “What they look for is supposed to be the same, but since the judges change, it’s also a person’s opinion on art. It always is different year to year in what they like and what they look for.”

According to Hough, students who submit their art and win an award are able to put it on their college application and possibly even get scholarships for it. She said it looks better to say that you had not only done four years of art in high school, but that you had also won awards each year for your skills. Brennan Zatechka, a senior art student, said that she believes it is a huge accomplishment.

“Last year I won a national scholastic gold key so I got to go to Carnegie Hall so that was really cool,” Zatechka said. “And they only presented the people who won portfolio gold keys and special scholarship awards.”

The awards are presented on a stage while the students in that category stand in front of a projected image of their art piece, name, grade, and key winning.