Freshman Golfer Breaks 18-Hole School Record

A freshman shooting the girls golf school record? No problem. Freshman Kaitlyn Hanna shot a 71 at Tara Hills Golf Course on August 22nd.

“I would say chipping and putting is what was working out there, also my drives were straight down the middle every time,” Hanna said.

Hanna worked with the coaches and her dad to specifically work on using 9 iron [golf club] and to hopefully get closer to the cup with her approach shots.

“We actually went to two driving ranges and they were both closed, so I didn’t really get much time to warm up,” Hanna said. “I just went with all my practice I had before.”

Hanna says this performance only changes her outlook into the rest of the season a little bit and hopes to keep working even harder each day to hopefully get this same score each time.

“I want to definitely keep shooting in the low 70s,” Hanna said. “And I want to hopefully win state.” These are some of Hanna’s goals for this season

Hanna said she knew there was a school record but said she didn’t know what was she was doing during the round. She beat the previous record of 76, which was put in place by Shauna Hill in 2012, by 5 shots.

“I’ve been practicing a lot and really want to shoot in the 60s” Hanna said.

She hopes to shoot scores all year long and help the Westside Varsity golf team perform well this season. She’ll continue that quest on Thursday, September 6, 2018, at Highlands Golf Course.