Bullying: Miami Dolphins

As teenagers we are reminded, time and time again, bullying is a serious issue happening each day in our community. It happens whether or not we see it, and can greatly change the lives of many people.

In high school we are aware of the dangers, but many of us forget that once we leave our teenage years in the dust, bullying isn’t necessarily left behind. It is hard to imagine adults taking part in such evil and sophomoric behavior such as bullying, but they do.

Last Sunday, Miami Dolphins lineman Richie Incoginito was suspended from his team due to misconduct regarding the harassment of fellow teammate Jonathan Martin. This misconduct has been deemed as bullying by media networks.

While little can be proven as of this date in the case, it should stand as a reminder that bullying isn’t left at the doors of high school. It continues out into the real world and can affect the lives of grown adults.

This should be a wake-up call to everyone. Whether or not these incidents occurred, the scandal is here to remind us that bullying is a problem that does not go away, and together we need to stand in order to stop it.

While no one says bullying is a positive thing that needs to continue, many of us turn a blind eye to it, including those on the Dolphins team. It is rumored that Incognito’s teammates stand behind him in the scandal saying he did nothing wrong. Are they turning a blind eye? With little facts it is hard to prove this statement, but it brings up a point in high school bullying.

To this day, I have yet to see bullying occur at Westside High School. I know it happens. everyone does. Yet I have never seen it. I now sit here and ask myself if this is so.

Martin left the Dolphins team due to the atmosphere surrounding him, yet his fellow teammates saw no foul play? How can this be? Is this something that happens at Westside? Is it possible that students simply just don’t realize bullying is taking place right in front of them?

Unfortunately, it is easy to see how this can happen. Examples of bullying we are shown in school and in the media are extreme cases, thus why they make the news. They are of physical bullying or blatant name calling. They are obvious to many and tend to be very public. This is not the case of all bullying. Most of it must happen behind closed doors or in ways that are hidden to the naked eye, so the question is how can we stop something that most of us aren’t aware of?

You can’t. However, I do believe students can take a different approach to slowing bullying. Instead of making it your goal to find bullying and stop it, be the anti-bully. Make someone’s day. Give compliments, say hello and show people you care. Fill their figurative bucket (of self-confidence) with water (compliments, positive things, a smile) to outweigh those who are dipping (bullying them) from it.

Maybe outweighing with the good can help with the bad. And if we are to practice this idea in high school it may just translate to our adulthood, allowing us to reduce the amount of bullying that happens after adolescence.

While the idea of giving simple compliments may not have fixed the situation in which Martin was in, it may make a difference in the life of someone you know, and maybe  giving compliments is a contagious thing, and if you start with a compliment another person will give one as well.

Stopping bullying isn’t’ about going right to the source, it is about changing the atmosphere as a whole. So whether or not you see it happen, remember it does, and you can help to stop it. Make someone’s day in the easiest way by letting them know they are great. Please take some time today and give someone, anyone a compliment. It might go a lot further than you think.