Westside Competition Cheer gears up for new season

Aubrey LeClair
The competition cheer squad is open to all cheerleaders, no matter which squad they are currently part of.

The Westside High School competition cheer squad offers many exciting opportunities for cheerleaders as well as moments to compete against other cheer squads from around Nebraska.

Sophomore Lily Adkins shared why she chose to participate in the competitive cheer squad and what advantages it brings to her.

I joined state cheer because it keeps all my skills fresh for tryouts in the spring,” Adkins said. “I also joined because it is a chance to become closer with teammates, and it is such a good opportunity overall.”

Adkins also loves the environment when competing with her teammates because she gets to grow stronger bonds with the girls.

“Comp days are just so fun, and a great experience,” Adkins said. “It feels so good to hit a routine. Last year we did big/littles and before comps we got each other a gift. It was so fun because you got to build each other up/cheer for each other, and become closer with the person you were with.”

Sophomore Lily Gutta voiced how the team has improved immensely throughout the past seasons.

Last year we had no seniors on the team and had new coaches,” Gutta said. “This meant our season was full of experimenting and going with the flow. We competed in a division with no stunts and tumbling and had a dance and cheer. It was so fun to learn everything and get closer with everyone because the group was a lot smaller than usual.”

Gutta noted how preparation is key when planning to compete. 

“During state it was so fun to perform because we were able to show off all of what we worked hard for,” Gutta said. “It showed that the early morning practices and Sunday night practices helped us prepare and be ready.”

Gutta also added that there is nothing better than showing your skills and routine to competitors. 

“It is so fun to compete with everyone and when we are at competition everyone supports each other and pushes everyone to be their best,” Gutta said.

Westside’s competitive cheer team is very enthusiastic about their season and hopes to take home many awards this winter.