Westside freshmen create K-Pop club

Taryn Atwater
Freshmen Salma Aboutaleb and Taylor Ballard created a club where students can discuss their interest in K-Pop.

The K-Pop club is a brand new club at WHS during the 23-24 school year, founded by two students, freshmen Salma Aboutaleb and Taylor Ballard. 

The club, originally founded at Westside Middle School, transferred up to the high school when its founders did. Aboutaleb and Ballard both share a common interest in K-Pop, and decided to create a space for others like them. 

“We wanted to meet people that have similar interests, and that’s been pretty successful,” Aboutaleb said. “It was just kind of to meet other people that like stuff like this and to just make a space for people to talk, because a lot of people make this a weird thing.”

Ballard has a similar sentiment towards the creation of the club, citing many people’s negative feelings about K-Pop as inspiration to start the club. 

“I just wanted to start one,” Ballard said. “Especially since a lot of people don’t like it, or can’t like it freely without being judged. I just kind of wanted for us to have a space where people could just talk about their interests without feeling judged.”

While the two founders recognize that many WHS students do not have the same love for K-Pop that they do, it doesn’t prevent them from gaining members or being active. 

“[New people] just kind of come on their own,” Aboutaleb said. “We make posters and we have an announcement in the daily announcements, so they come on their own.” Aboutaleb said. “[Members] bring their friends sometimes.”

During the meetings, Aboutaleb says that club members usually play games or watch videos, and of course, listen to music. 

“We always listen to music,” Aboutaleb said. “Taylor will usually find or make a playlist based on the theme we’re going for that day. Like our last week was Halloween themed, and she made a playlist that was Halloween [K-Pop] music.”

While the activities and music are fun, Ballard says her favorite part of the club is the community she is able to build.

“[It’s good to] know that I’m not alone,” Ballard said.