Westside students weigh in on wacky traditions

Sammy Marvin
Students at Westside High School describe their unconventional holiday traditions.

Traditions have always been a way for families to spend time together during the Holidays. Most people eat special dinners, put up decorations, and give gifts. Though this is true, some people have more unconventional traditions that still serve the same purpose. 

Senior Eliza Haney says that her family has a more unique approach to Thanksgiving festivities.

“We have a neighborhood kickball game during Thanksgiving weekend at the high school,” Haney said. “It’s parents vs kids, and kids always win.”

Haney’s favorite family tradition happened out of pure boredom.

“A couple years ago on Thanksgiving we all wanted to do something so it kind of just happened,” Haney said.

The family has never had to put much organization into the event.

“Someone in the family just picks a time and all the neighbors show up at Westside ready to play,” Haney said. “The most organized it gets is deciding who is bringing the ball and the bases.”

Senior Jonathan Carnazzo goes with his family every year to pick out a Christmas tree. While this is a common tradition amongst many, his family adds a unique twist to the process.

Every year when my family goes to buy our Christmas tree we can’t go home without getting McRibs from McDonald’s for dinner even though most of us think they’re disgusting,” Carnazzo said.

Carnazzo admits that even though the food isn’t his favorite, the tradition still holds a special place in his heart because of how it started.

“When my mom was a kid, she used to get McDonald’s after getting her family tree and my grandpa would always get a McRib so it just stuck,” Carnazzo said. “I love watching my mom make fun of my dad when he eats a McRib and I also like getting to pig out with my family.”

Senior Theresa Bochnicek and her family had a similar idea to come up with something different to do during the Holidays. 

“My family’s wacky tradition is that every Christmas has a theme,” Bochnicek said. “For example, some themes have been ‘The Wizard of Oz’, Italian, bacon, or Indiana Jones.”

Bochnicek explained  that the night consists of food and costumes relating to the chosen theme.

“Everyone would bring dishes inspired by that theme and dress up as funny characters,” Bochnicek said. “Then we would have a gift exchange that featured presents of that theme.”  

The reason that the tradition started was because Bochnicek’s family members didn’t like the traditional food that was served during Christmas.

“My mom and aunt don’t love turkey and ham so they just wanted to do different cuisines to have a variety of food,” Bochnicek said. 

Whether it’s adding your own spin to a common tradition, or coming up with something completely new, families love to use traditions as a way to bond over the Holidays.