Westside student creates Film Club

Aubrey LeClair
Film Club is the first club at Westside where students can discuss movies.

The 2023-2024 school year has introduced several new student-created clubs. Film Club is one of the many new student-led and created clubs available at Westside. 

Junior Sophie Kheele is president of the Film Club. She explained that her interest in movies only recently became apparent.

“About a year ago [movies] became a really special interest of mine,” Kheele said.

Despite the club fair being at the beginning of the year, students can create their own club at any time of the year with an advisor and dean’s permission. The Film Club advisors are English instructors Chase Martin and Sara Wilson. 

Kheele mentioned why she felt setting up the club was important.

“I feel like everyone has seen at least one movie so everybody can discuss films,” Kheele said. “It is one of the most talked about forms of media.”

Kheele decided to start the club at the beginning of this year after starting the process of setting up the club during her sophomore year. 

“I didn’t want to start a club at the very end of a [school] year, so I waited for this year to start,” Kheele said.

Part of the process to start a club is to get 15 signatures of students who would like to become members. Many students are informed about clubs through the club fair at the beginning of the year.

“The club fair definitely helped with [gaining members],” Kheele said.

Senior Mary Healy recently joined the club, and explained the benefits of being in Film Club.

“I think Film Club is a good way to expand your taste and hear from other people about what they think about film,” Healy said.

The Film Club is a place where students can share thoughts about movies, directors, and actors. Movies will not necessarily be watched during the clubs, but the creation of short films could also happen in the future. 

During the first meeting, Kheele and other film club members set up their Letterboxd profile. Letterboxd is a social platform where users can share film opinions. 

The expansion of clubs offered at Westside allows participation in activities that are not available to take as a class. 

“There is only one film class [offered at Westside]. [Students] can’t take Film and Lit until you’re a senior and this club could get more kids interested in film,” Kheele said. “They’ll know if they want to take the class or get them more interested in film in general.”

Many clubs, including the Film Club, allow new participants any time of the school year. Kheele encourages students to join clubs. 

“I think more kids should definitely join clubs and it’s a good way to make new friends.”