Tennis team starts season with 7-2 Victory over Millard South

The Westside varsity tennis team started their season on a winning note on Monday, Aug. 28 with a 7-2 victory over Millard South at home. Troy Shefsky is new to the team, but has plenty of skills. The freshman shared how he thinks he played and his future at Westside for tennis.

“I think I played pretty well and there are a few things that I could improve on,” Troy said.  “I think I’m most excited about carrying on my legacy and trying to create my own.”

BingYi Wang is in his second year playing tennis at Westside.  The sophomore was on varsity his freshman year and explained how he thinks he played on Monday.

“I think I played pretty well, as did the rest of the team,” Wang said. “ I’ve noticed that I’ve become more consistent with my shots, and more adjusted to the team format.”

Troy joins his older brother senior AJ Shefsky who placed fifth in the No.1 singles at state last season. Shefsky shared what his brother’s relationship means on the court.

“Me and my brother’s dynamic is going pretty well,” AJ said. “When we are on the court together we are teammates, Just like everyone else, as all it is sometimes harder to have a sibling on the team but he has helped me in so many ways to get me where I am today.”

Wang has many goals but explains what he is hoping to accomplish by the end of the season.

I’m hoping that we can improve on our state placement from last year,” Wang said. “and that we can improve more in general.”

The tennis team will play at Kearney on Sept. 2 at the Harmon park tennis courts.