Cross country teams hope to continue last year’s success

Cece Gerard
Senior Matthew Mills

After finishing their 2022 season as state runner-ups, the cross country team has high hopes to build upon their success.  The Warriors are returning almost all of their runners and are looking to make some noise this upcoming season.

The Warriors are led by head coach Theresa Gosnell, who has extreme confidence for both the boys and girls teams this season.  Gosnell says her main goal is to help each runner reach their peak and be as good as possible. 

Last season, the girls took second place at state and have their sights set at a first place finish this year.  The Warriors chances are looking good, as they have three runners in the top 10 in District A-3.   Seniors Stella Miner and Claire White ran the top two times for the team last season, running 18:30.6 and 18:45.8 respectively, and are top five in the state.  Sophomore Mia Urosevich has her eyes set on being in the top 10 in that state for the second year in a row.  The sky’s the limit on the girls’ side of things.

The 2023 season for the boys should be positive as well.  Last season the boys placed 10th at state and are trying to improve for this upcoming season.  

“The boys are mainly working on building from last season and I’ve seen really good improvement,” Gosnell said.

There are a couple boys who have high goals set for this season. Junior Conor Gross is running the 5k. 

“I am aiming to run under 16 minutes,” Gross said. “It is one of the big time barriers that honestly separate the good from the elite.”   

Senior Jayden Wall wants to be in the top five at state and break 15:50 in the 5k.  Gross and Wall ran 16:53.9 and 16:44.2 in the 5k respectively, and are in the top 10 in District A-3.

Their first cross country meet is set to take place on Saturday, Aug. 26 at Walnut Creek.