Westside teacher invited to U.S.A men’s basketball Americup

Special Services Instructor Dylan Travis won gold at the 3×3 U.S.A Men’s Basketball Americup that took place in Miami on November 4-6. His team included players Canyon Barry, Jimmer Fredette, and Kareem Maddox. 

Travis explained that the organization recently contacted him and invited him to participate.

“I’ve been playing 3×3 the last couple of years and I got invited by U.S.A Men’s Basketball to play around the world on this tour,” Travis said. “The organization believed my skills would help us so they recently called me to go train for the Americup and play with other athletes around the country.” 

Although his team swept the court with a win, Travis has only been playing 3×3 for about two years.

“I got involved in 3×3 when Covid-19 started because the pandemic had shut down my professional 5×5 career,” Travis said. “In 2020, I was actually supposed to go back to Australia. As a result I got involved with the league through a buddy that had been playing on a 3×3 team and now I’ve been doing it the last two years.” 

Despite being fairly new to the 3×3 league, Travis has been playing basketball since he was a teenager. 

“I played basketball in Omaha when I was in high school and played at Florida Southern during college,” Travis said. “Then I played in a few different countries overseas and finally started doing what I am now with 3×3.”

In order to continue playing and get better, Travis trains everyday for several hours during his busy schedule as a teacher at Westside. The hard work continues to pay off because he truly has a passion for the sport.

“Basketball is just something I’m good at, and I love it,” Travis said. “It’s always been a place for me to get away from everything and clear the mind. I work here at Westside as my main job from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and then I coach until 5:30. Usually I wake up around 5:30 a.m. before school and either lift or get some shots up. Whatever I don’t do in the morning, I work on at night.” 

Playing in the 3×3 league causes Travis to sacrifice some of his time spent at work, and he expressed just how grateful he is for the school being understanding of his schedule.

“I’m really thankful that Westside is giving me the opportunity to miss a little bit of work so that I can help our country get to the Olympics,” Travis said. “We start at the Americup then we will attend the World Cup and hopefully the Olympics. Again, I’m really appreciative and happy that Westside continues to support my passions.”