Education Fair Presents New Opportunities

The Westside High School Education Fair took place in the Warrior Walkway on Thursday, January 27,, where students could learn about and sign up for educational opportunities outside of school. Representatives from organizations such as Intern Omaha and the Zoo Academy of Henry Doorly Zoo gave student information about their groups.

Although many of the opportunities benefit juniors and seniors to look at education in high school and beyond, many underclassmen also attended the fair. Freshman Karen Benitez said that she plans on signing up for College Possible.

“My brother did College Possible and said I should do it,” Benitez said. “If anything else interests me, I will probably sign up for it.”

Planning for the future while still in high school can help students become aware of possibilities for scholarships after they graduate. Benitez said that these opportunities could be helpful in her future.

“I think that [the opportunities] can help with college and for future scholarships,” Benitez said.

The fair was held during lunch mods, giving interested students the chance to easily learn about the different opportunities. Avenue Scholars representative Ashley Knott said that her program guides students towards a future career.

“This is a brand new program at Westside and it will be an actual class on students’ schedules and it’s open to juniors,” Knott said. “The idea is that we help students work towards a career that they’re interested in.” 

Even if students are still in high school, they can earn credits towards school after graduation with some of the programs, like Avenue Scholars.

“We help with resumes, interviewing, things of that nature,” Knott said. “On the back end of it, if you finish junior and senior year at the high school level, you can qualify for a full scholarship to [the Metro Community College] that would cover an associate’s degree.”

The Education Fair is a great way to get students excited about preparing for the future and a helpful way to let them explore new opportunities.