High schoolers look to pursue medical interests with UNMC program

In schools around Omaha, a select amount of the upcoming junior and senior class have the opportunity to participate in a UNMC medical program called High School Alliance. This program offers first-hand experience for students wanting to work in the medical field so they are prepared for future jobs.

Senior Kera Lawrence is a part of the UNMC program this year. She says that there are many advantages to being part of it. Being a senior in the program helps her get some experience in the medical field before college.

“I want to go into nursing,” Lawrence said. “In this program you get to choose your interests to take classes, which helps out a lot.”

Although this program is a great opportunity, Lawrence said that at times it can be hard to balance with all of the school work she has.

“I have classes from 1-3, Monday through Thursday, and I switch off between the two classes that I take,” Lawrence said. “This can be a lot to handle with school also going on, but you just have to work at it and push through.” 

Lawrence was one of the three seniors who got accepted into this program.

“They want a diverse group of people to be part of the program, and they will take only up to three people from each school,” Lawrence said.

Compared to last year’s three students who applied to the program, this year over ten students applied. Ethan Goldner, a junior who applied for the program next year, says that it is a great hands on experience to prepare himself and others for the future.

“Taking these kind of classes outside of school help you gain medical experience before you are done with high school, which is a big deal,” Goldner said.

It is a very competitive and rewarding program to be accepted into and Goldner said the process is ongoing and thorough.

“I think it would be really great to be part of this program because it would help with learning certain things in the medical field before college,” Goldner said.

The students who applied for next year will find out if they were accepted into the program some time this week.