Basketball Senior Night

Senior Night Recap

Josh Siegel, Wired Copy Editor

Both girls and boys basketball teams competed during primetime on Friday night against Lincoln High. The two games also happened to be the final home game of the regular season, making it Senior Night.

The girls came out against a limiting zone defense. They had trouble getting the ball inside, but this was no issue as Westside was lights out from beyond the arc. They quickly took the lead and didn’t let go, leading by a dominating 24-8 at halftime. Both Wedergren and Weidemann led the team in three-pointers, making Lincoln regret running a zone. The girls easily took home the win by a score of 58-32.

Boys basketball was a little slow to start the game, falling behind to 22-12 after the first quarter. However, thanks to excellent defense and a couple of threes from Booth, the Warriors propelled into a 31-27 lead at half. Westside couldn’t maintain that 4 point lead, as Lincoln took the lead again making it 48-42 after three. The fourth quarter was very interesting as Westside began to make a comeback. With less than one minute left in the game, the Warriors cut the lead down to 3 and had the ball. However a turnover lost the chance to tie the game. Westside luckily had the opportunity to tie the game up with a free throw with one second left, but it was missed and the boys fell short.