Westside Girls Basketball to Travel to See Monarchs Friday

The Westside varsity girls basketball team will travel to The Palace at Papillion-La Vista High School on Friday, February 9, 2018 at 5:30 p.m. Westside, who holds a 19-3 record, is coming off a 60-39 win at Lincoln Southeast. The Monarchs have lost three of their last four and are coming off a 43-30 win over Lincoln North Star.

Westside saw their 11 game win streak snap at their fingertips in a crushing 77-74 overtime loss to Omaha Northwest on Friday, but they bounced back with a solid 21 point win at Lincoln Southeast on Saturday. In the 12 game span since the loss in Phoenix to Roland Park, Maryland, they’ve outscored opponents by an 841-528 (an average of 64.7-40.6), but they’ve lost forward Jasmine McGinnis-Taylor and guard Ryley Nolin to ACL injuries. The Warriors have adjusted by getting forwards Liz Robinson and Lauren Fehr more minutes.

The Papillion-La Vista Monarchs were once a top five team. They started the game on a nine game win streak, but that was snapped by Millard South in the Metro Tournament semifinals. They bounced back by going 5-1 in the next six games, but went on a three game skid to follow. The Monarchs have three players that average in double digits in points per game including sophomore Olivia Boudreau, who averages 13.4.

The Warriors have not dropped a game to the Monarchs since December 28, 2013, and they’ll look to continue that run on Friday, February 9, 2018, at 5:30 p.m.