PREVIEW: Westside Basketball’s Tough Schedule Rolls On

The Westside boys varsity basketball team will compete twice more and the girls once more this weekend as they travel to Millard South on Friday, December 8, 2017 and the boys host Norfolk on Saturday, December 9, 2017.  The girls are coming off a pair of wins in week one, and the boys enter the second week with a 1-1 record.

In the week one matchups at third-ranked Lincoln Northeast and class B number six Elkhorn South, the girls basketball team outscored opponents 116-92.  Their tough schedule, however, doesn’t end there.  They travel to preseason number two Millard South on Friday, who outscored their respective opponents by a combined score of 150-78 in week one.  They’ll hit the hardwood together on Friday, December 8, 2017.

The boys team is slated to take on the same two teams that the girls are on the same days with a 7:15 p.m. start time or 20 minute interval between games.  The Millard South team has a solid core in Kyle Perry and Tyrell Carroll, who have both recorded two double digit games thus far.  Don’t let the stats fool you, though.  The Patriots will share the wealth, and Westside will have to stay on their toes to shut the Patriots down.

The 2-0 Norfolk Panthers have the long road to travel to Omaha Saturday for when Westside will host their first official game of the 2017-18 season.  Norfolk has suffered two losses of 13 and 21 points in the first week of play. Although the defending state champions lost their core in Logan Strom, they’ve still got a 6’1” junior in Luke Kluver that has scored 16 and 25 points respectively for an average of 20.5 points per game with two under his belt.

The Westside girls and boys basketball teams are in for a tough weekend beginning at 5:15 p.m. on Friday, December 8, 2017.