How to Give During the Holidays

When thinking of holidays, people tend to picture having family over, big meals, and presents. However, not everyone is fortunate enough to have the typical holidays that is portrayed in pop culture. For some kids, the holidays are a rough time. According to Kathy Toner, a counselor here at Westside High School, more than 30 kids per counselor a year come in to discuss their problems involving the holidays. Around winter break is when the high schoolers show up the most. Toner’s advice is:

“If you’re struggling, don’t keep it to yourself. Find a counselor or someone you trust telling this stuff too and just talk because when you keep everything inside it can lead to more problems, such as depression. No one is judging, even adults need a support system.”

And for those of us that are fortunate enough, try to give spirit to those in need. After all, the holidays are about giving, not receiving.

~ How to Give ~

Donate to The Salvation Army: The Salvation Army collects goods for those in need. You can donate money online or stop by to drop off supplies, such as books, coats, or food. It can be as little as handing a dollar to a bell ringer outside of Walmart or Target.

Donate to Goodwill: Goodwill is a nonprofit organization, meaning the money they make goes to their organization to help the community. Not only does Goodwill sell items discounted for those not able to afford the original price, they also hire people with disabilities and those struggling to get a job. They are accepting of any item, varying from beds to a bike.

Donate canned goods: The holidays are thought of as a time to eat lots of food. However, some people can barely feed their families. Donate food to shelters to help out those families in need. There are many places to drop off food in Omaha, such as the Food Bank for the Heartland, located on 10525 J St, or multiple homeless shelters, such as the Siena Francis House, located throughout the city.

Volunteer at homeless shelters to serve food: Working at a homeless shelter around the holidays can be very stressful. The kitchen will be making and serving more food than usual and will need extra help. Volunteering might not seem like a big deal, but it can really make a difference, and it can also be a great learning experience.

Surprise someone in need: If you know someone that might be struggling throughout the holidays, why not surprise them? There are always stories about family, friends, or even coworkers that show up at someone’s door with food, presents, or whatever they might need. Not only will this make their day, it will also brighten up yours as well and make your holiday time a little better.  

story by lydia kasem, graphic by vinny nelson