Girls Golf: Season in Review

The 2017 Westside girls golf season ended last week when junior Lili Fogland tied for 11th at the NSAA State Championship tournament.  While the maximum amount of entries a team can send to a varsity tournament is five players, the team set a goal of finishing any given competition with a score of under 400 strokes. To accomplish this feat, each player had to score an 80 or below. Head coach Barry Glanzer said this was accomplished.

“Our team goal was to be under 400 strokes, which we accomplished several times,” Glanzer said.

The girls did not qualify as a team for the State Championships as they came in eighth place with a score of 474 strokes in their district, but the team still sent one player to Norfolk.  Coach Glanzer said that this was a feat they were hoping to tackle from the beginning of the season.

“[My] goal was for Lili Fogland to make it to state individually,” Glanzer said.

Though the girls did not qualify for state as a team, things are looking up for them in the coming years. Kaitlyn Hanna, one of the best middle school players in the state in Glanzer’s eyes, will come to the high school next fall.  He said that their players are constantly improving as well.

“[We] all worked hard and will get better, so we are excited for next season,” Glanzer said.