Weekly Chat: Signing up for next year classes

Second semester has barely just begun, and already you are supposed to figure out what classes you want to take next year. It is a risky decision considering that your interests may change from now until the end of this semester, but the time has come to make some choices.

Take it from someone who had a schedule filled with only two classes this whole year that were required and the rest being classes in which I was genuinely interested. I cannot repeat enough, it is much easier to be busy sophomore and junior year than it is senior year (especially if you catch senioritis).

For all the freshmen signing up for next year’s classes, try to get as many required courses as you can worked into your schedule (beside the given English and math classes). This would be language, social studies and science courses. Now is also a good time to decide if you want to work for a commended diploma upon graduation. In this case, group four and five classes are required, which are usually just honors classes. Sophomore year is a good time to start working for this, so you are not rushed into taking group five classes as a senior.

Sophomores have one thing to worry about: whether to take APUSH or just regular USH (AP U.S. History or regular U.S. History). In the case that you are taking Honors Chemistry as a junior, I would suggest regular U.S. History so you don’t stress yourself out too much. Or, if you are very interested in history and it will keep your attention and you are willing to put in the time and effort, take APUSH. The choice is completely up to what you think your capabilities are. Oh, and don’t forget to finish your foreign language requirements as a junior.

To the juniors who cannot wait to be a senior and all the things that come with it, you have one thing standing in your way: finishing up any required classes or proficiencies you avoided the last three years. This is the part that you have to check with your counselor. The worst thing I can imagine is being all ready to graduate with a commended diploma in your hands, but not completing an advanced writing proficiency (WEA) or advanced teamwork proficiency (TWA). Of course, there are many more to be earned, but you have most likely received credit for them without even knowing.

After taking Honors Biology freshman year, I signed up for physics as a sophomore, which led to Honors Chemistry as a junior, and as of senior year I am not enrolled in any science class. I also finished Spanish 4 Honors as a junior, so I do not have to worry about a foreign language class. It is my senior year and six out of the seven classes I am enrolled in, I am genuinely interested in learning about. What I did with my high school courses throughout the years was what I would recommend to anyone and everyone. Finally, don’t forget to take electives that will make you look forward to going to school, such as art, business or, best of all, JOURNALISM classes.

Good luck to everyone as they plan their future at Westside.