Filed under News

Guidance Department Sponsors Breakfast to Celebrate ACT Scores

Seniors+who+received+a+30+or+above+on+their+ACT+attend+a+breakfast+setup+by+the+Guidance+Department+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors who received a 30 or above on their ACT attend a breakfast setup by the Guidance Department

Zoe Miller

Zoe Miller

Zoe Miller

For high school students with plans of pursuing secondary education or attending a college or university, they are required to take the American College Test (ACT) to examine and reveal how prepared they are for college-level education. The ACT is on a scale of 1-36 with 36 being a perfect score. At Westside, all juniors are required to take the ACT during the spring, paid for by the school. There are many other opportunities for students to take the ACT but they are required to pay for it themselves. This last week, Tuesday, Nov. 12, Westside seniors who received a 30 or above on their ACT were invited to a breakfast and given a free t-shirt to celebrate their academic achievement. Head of the counseling department, Dr. Vicki Londer, said that 44 seniors were invited to the breakfast on Tuesday.

“Mrs. Hatch and I wanted to honor the students that received a 30 or above on their ACT,” Londer said. “So this breakfast is for those seniors who worked really hard and have done what they need to do the past four years, and really put in that hard work; it payed off for them.”

The breakfast started at 7:30 a.m. in the Guidance IMC with a buffet style setup. Students gathered at tables and ate their breakfast while Londer passed out t-shirts. Senior Vivian Jacobitz was invited to the breakfast due to receiving a score of 35 on her ACT.

“I think [the breakfast] was a nice thing for the counselors to do for students who have worked hard to do something,” Jacobitz said. “And as someone who doesn’t eat breakfast a lot, it was something that made me get up and do something productive with my morning.”

Londer said that the guidance department tries encouraging students in the senior class to challenge themselves by taking an honors or AP class, and to continue to study and work hard as well as focus on their goals.

“Mrs. Hatch and I are super super proud of [the seniors], and all the counselors just feel extremely lucky to have the opportunity to work with them the past four years,” Londer said. “Continue to forge ahead and we look forward to see what [the seniors] do in the future.”

About the Contributor
Zoe Miller, Co Social Media Coordinator and Opinion Editor

Hi my name is Zoe Miller! I am Co-Social Media Coordinator and Opinion Editor for Westside Wired this year. I am currently a junior and this is my second...

• Guidance Department Sponsors Breakfast to Celebrate ACT Scores

News

The Process of Calling a Snow Day

News

WiFi Issues Slowed Down the School Day

News

District Addresses Alleged Criminal Activity

News

Room 324 Floods Due to Snow Leakage

News

America Mourns the Death of George H. W. Bush

News

ALEK’s The New Era of Homework

News

IT Department Encourages Students to Protect Computers during the Winter

Lance

Red Shield receives award for best student section

News

Business Teacher Jeanette Kleppinger Wins Entrepreneurship Award

News

“Be Kind” with Westside’s World Language Department