Union Omaha announces a new stadium

Martie Cordaro

Construction for a new, multi-use stadium will begin in the fall of this year. The stadium will have 6500 to 7500 seats and will be able to hold 8500 to 9500 people. Not only will this benefit Union Omaha, but it will benefit the metro as a whole.

“The stadium, from a functionality perspective, will be much more like a waterpark,” Martie Cordaro, CEO of the Omaha Storm Chasers, said. “This means that it’s about the sport, but there will also be party, hospitality and common areas for fans. Fans will be able to join events from these.”

The price range for the stadium is somewhere between $60,000 to $70,000 for the physical build.

“After the building process, we’ll have a larger development that consists of mixed-use retail entertainment and restaurants, bars, multifamily apartments, housing and eventually a hotel,” Cordaro said.

Although the stadium is being built in Omaha, it will not only be used for Union Omaha. 

“It’s a soccer specific stadium in which Union Omaha will be a tenant along with other tenants and other events,” Cordaro said.

Other than soccer, Cordaro mentions a few other events that are being discussed.

“Concerts are something we absolutely would consider, along with other community-type events,” Cordaro said. “5Ks that benefit charity and supporting different organizations that may host annual corporate functions or corporate meetings are also things we’re planning for.”

When discussing this project with the mayor’s office, it was decided that the Metropolitan Entertainment and Conventional Authority (MECA), who have supported the stadiums like CHI Center and Charles Swab, will support the venue. 

“This will complement the primary season from a soccer perspective,” Cordaro said. “It is the exact opposite from a Creighton basketball perspective and will provide contrast between the sports as this new venue will help separate sports.”

With the construction of this new stadium, Union Omaha is looking for high schoolers interested in a summer job.

“We’re looking for people who want jobs that would also want to do something in the sports world,” Cordaro said. “Most of them are operations-based, meaning working on the promotions team or in the game store. All jobs provide experience, even mascot jobs.”