Filed under News

Homecoming Behind the Scenes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming Behind the Scenes

Homecoming might just seem like a simple once a year occasion, but lots of effort goes into making this event one students will remember year after year. Dance team, cheer, DECA, and student council put it many hours of work to make homecoming an enjoyable experience.

“A lot of the attendees don’t realize that both of the cheer and dance teams specifically start planning for homecoming around the end of August or beginning of September,” Homecoming Coordinator, Molly Hunt-Spisak said. “Now that homecoming week has started, DECA has become more involved too with the Powerbuff and Powderpuff games.”

After the homecoming game Friday, the students from all of their respective clubs and teams go from the game into school and begin preparing for the dance. Some decorations are ordered online ahead of time, and some are handmade. Everyone splits up into groups and receives tasks to complete throughout the night.

“Straight after the game the night before homecoming, we all get into comfy clothes and somebody orders pizza. Then cheer, dance, and stuco all stay until one in the morning decorating the school that’s visible during homecoming,” Dance team senior Reyna Mack said.

Homecoming, along with winter formal, are Student Council’s biggest events. Student Council has two committees that focus on preparing homecoming: the dance and float committees. Both committees have different responsibilities and complete separate tasks to decorate and prepare.

“The float [committee] has to work on the float for the parade and get a trailer, while the dance [committee] has to decide what we [student council] are going to do for decorations on homecoming night,” Student Council Co-president, Biruk Tewodros, said. “The whole council works together to set homecoming up with cheer and dance team.”

Student council, dance team, cheer, and DECA, have worked hard to prepare for homecoming. The clubs and teams hope for a successful homecoming weekend and are excited about the annual event.

About the Writer
Ella Henningsen, Staff Writer

Hi my name is Ella Henningsen! I am a staff writer for Westside Wired this year. I am currently a freshman and this is my first year on Wired. If you have...

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

Senior Lot Construction Plans Take Longer Than Anticipated

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

Lance

New Superintendent: “Leadership is about ‘we,’ not ‘me’”

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

Dance Team Prepares for First Competition in Five Years

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

Theater Director Creates New Class, Devised Theater

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

Press Release: District Announces New Superintendent

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

District Superintendent Search Narrows to Two Candidates

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

New Door Alarms

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

Feature

Junior Marketing Students Organize a Clothing Drive

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

What Is Mr. WHS?

• Homecoming Behind the Scenes

News

Little Theater Renamed To Honor Former Teacher