RECAP: Boys basketball defeats Millard North, will play for a spot in state Monday

Boys basketball took on Millard North this Saturday in a first round district game. The Warriors needed to win, or else their hopes of going to state would be crushed.

The game started off very fast, as Millard North liked to run the court. On the other end, they played a tough zone defense that made it difficult to score for the Warriors, specifically Booth. However, Thompson picked up the slack as he was a force to be reckoned with down low. Thanks to the team’s great effort, Westside only found themselves down by 1 at the end of the first.

In the second, the Mustangs looked like they were going to pull ahead, but thanks to a late push by Westside at the end of the quarter, they were losing by 1 yet again going into the locker room. The third quarter was very similar to the second one. Millard North was up by as much as 6 points, but somehow Westside crawled back to be down by 1 once again going into the fourth.

The fourth quarter was where Westside really stepped it up. Booth hadn’t been shooting great all game until he converted on a four point play at the start of the fourth. After that, Booth played amazing and started to hit some shots and free throws. One of the unsung heroes of this game was Sophomore Cal Weidemann, as he had the tough task of guarding the Mustang’s best player, Nick Ferrarini. Weidemann locked up Ferrarini and made it very hard for him to score. Late in the game, Weidemann caught fire and hit a three on two straight possessions, securing the win for the Warriors, 71-63.

Booth and Thompson led the team with 24 and 23 points respectively, combining for more than half of the team’s points.

Westside will take on Bellevue West this Monday for a spot in state.