Maintenance Crew Prepared for Event Filled Weekend

A three page to-do list sat on the desk of Tim Cox, Head of Westside Maintenance, for last weekend’s Competition of Excellence, the annual show choir competition, but it’s just part of the long list for the weekend.
“It’s not only those, but it’s regular things too; cleaning the locker rooms, cleaning wrestling mats.” Cox said.

The swimming invitational, Warrior Invite, was held this weekend. “In all we’ll see about 3,000 to 4,000 people come in and out of this building between the two events.” Cox said. Swimmers and divers came into Westside starting right before school is out. Saturday kicks off the main event for both competitions.

Cox prepared his team throughout the week giving them pep talks and letting them know what was to come. Most of the maintenance crew on duty had been through this a few times before “They know how big the event is.” Cox said. Even a huddle isn’t out of the question the day before. “I let them ask questions of me. I express my thoughts, express my concerns, and to remind them what we’re here for; to make these kids as successful as we can.”

“This is a great coordination on the part of the kids. Getting people on the stage at the right time in the right place. It’s really cool.” Cox said. This weekend also requires coordination on the part of the custodial staff about 11-12 maintenance crew members are required for this weekend, up from four on a typical weekend.

Every year after this major weekend, the show choir presents a thank you card to the maintenance crew. “It lets [the crew] know their part was important. Some of them tell me it’s nice to be noticed. Sometimes our work is done behind the scenes.” The custodial team has already begun preparation for this weekend and will be a presence till the last item is checked off Cox’s to-do list.