Physics Teachers Switch-Up Curriculum

Physics teachers Judy Stucky and Kim Gradoville received a grant to improve the class curriculum.The two decided to attend a three-day teaching workshop in Iowa earlier this year covering first semester physics material. From this workshop, they learned about a different way of teaching that is more student-centered and individualized. The new way of teaching covers less material but has greater depth. Physics began to implement this way of teaching at the beginning of the school year with new textbooks and a rearranged curriculum.

“We’re putting more of the responsibility on the students instead of having them take notes, memorize the notes, and pass the quiz,” said Physics instructor Judy Stucky.

The physics team received the Kelley Grant, which will allow the teachers to attend another workshop that covers second semester concepts. This form of teaching could be implemented into all classes at the high school. Stucky and Gradoville hope to create multiple mini-workshops for any Westside teacher.

“When you teach this way, students have a better understanding and they can remember it longer,” said Stucky.

The goal is that it will allow students to solve a wider range of problems and build helpful 21st century skills. With physics, the new curriculum is intended to give the students skills to deal with new situations in school, out of school, and in the workplace.