Westside dominates Prep in game opener

Cece Gerard

Westside started the 2023 season off on a high note, hammering rival Creighton Prep 57-7. The Warriors showed little to no weakness as they rolled through Creighton Prep. This year’s win marks seven in a row vs the Junior Jays. 

The Warriors were led by seniors Jahmez Ross, Caleb Benning and Anthony Rezac. Ross rushed for three touchdowns and Benning added one receiving and one on a kickoff return. Benning also had an interception that set up another touchdown. Rezac marched the offense, throwing for two touchdowns and running in one more.  Coach Paul Limongi reflected on Ross’s and Benning’s performances. 

“I knew they were ready to go, their good football players,” Limongi said. “The offensive line blocked phenomenally for Jahmez and Caleb, he just shows up and does what Caleb does.”

Westside jumped out early with Ross’s first touchdown. Senior Anthony Rezac connected with Benning in the corner of the end zone to jump out to a 14 point lead. The Junior Jays then scored their single touchdown on a four yard reception by Jackson Wurgler. Benning responded immediately by running the kick, at the end of quarter one, 88-yards to the house for seven more. 

Coming out of the break, the Warriors tacked on a field goal by senior kicker Will Bauerly. Anthony Rezac performed a little of his magic with his lone rushing touchdown. Rezac then connected with junior receiver Keynan Cotton on a 56-yard completion for his last passing touchdown of the night. Ross then punched in his second touchdown of the night right before taking a 45-7 lead into the half. 

The Warriors came out of the half with Ross running for his third and final touchdown of the night. The point after attempt failed on a botched snap. After that touchdown, Limongi pulled many starters, giving a chance for Ashton Metoyer to score the final touchdown of the night.

Ross explained what his and the team’s performance felt like. 

“It felt good, especially when you’ve been working all summer,” Ross said. “And then you come out here with your brothers and give it all in, so it felt great coming out here and putting on that type of performance.”

The Warriors stay at home next week looking to pick up win number two against Grand Island. Westside’s victory over the Jays was a great tone to set going into next week. The keys according to Benning, is to just keep getting three percent better each day and focusing on taking it day by day.