School play is pyramid of culture

Immigrant families face many difficulties adjusting to their new home and culture. In Triangle, one such family has a daughter who is being haunted by the ghost of a shirtwaist factory worker from 1911.

Westside theater director Jeremy Stoll has been teaching acting and theater classes for almost nine years. He chose the play, Triangle, due to its historical impact on working conditions, empathy towards immigrant families and has many characters with an age range close to high school students.

Stoll also believes the play is relevant to the social and political issues society faces today.

“You may not agree with the viewpoint of the play, such as its criticism to poor working conditions and immigration reform,” Stoll said. “However, it’s important for communities to express their concern over the issues we face today.”

In 1911, the greatest industrial disaster of New York City burned down the shirtwaist factory known as Triangle. The factory had many female immigrants of Southern European and Jewish descent in what many today would consider a sweatshop.

Immigrants of today and their children face similar problems 100 years ago. Racial tensions and poor wage payment harm them and their families from making the transition to become American.

Triangle’s protagonist is a young Latina girl whose parents are originally from Mexico until they immigrated to New York. Her sister, Isabel, is played by freshman Valerie Cuevas.

Isabel is 14-years-old, very feminine and doesn’t like to listen to her older sister.

“I’m a girly girl, just like Isabel,” Cuevas said. “I like to do my makeup and wear cute clothes. I really hate being bossed around.”

Cuevas is excited to play a role in Triangle, as there are few freshmen that get to perform in a high school play.

“It’s very nerve-racking,” Cuevas said. “You have to get in with the upperclassmen and catch up to them.”

Cuevas was chosen for the part of Isabel for being a young girl of Hispanic descent, as well as being well versed in Spanish and accents. She was also chosen for having a personality the audience will find friendly and welcoming, great characteristics of a younger sister.

“I already know all the words,” Cuevas said. “It’s not like I need to learn anything new. Almost all of my dad’s family lives in Mexico and we go there every four years.”

Cuevas also lives with her younger brother and baby sister.

“This whole experience will allow me to explore new horizons,” Cuevas said. “It’s very exciting for me and the people I work with.”

Cuevas and the cast and crew of Triangle will be performing on Friday, February 27 and Saturday, February 28. Both performances start at 7 p.m. in the auditorium and the ticket price for students are $6 and $10 for adults.