BREAKING: Abrupt Internet changes provoke student and teacher reactions

A Westside student logs into the iBoss system, which was put in place Oct. 8. Tech support says it has found the fix for student complaints about the system. Photo by Aren Rendell

Recently, Westside’s web security and web filter system iPrism has undergone a change due to faults in the software. Today, students and teachers at Westside were faced with a new web filtering system: iBoss, a system similar to iPrism that prevents viewing of certain websites as well as content posed as harmful by the district. Although Westside Director of Technology Rob Uchtman declined an interview on such short notice, he did mention iPrism hasn’t been working and Westside would be testing new web security and filtering systems in the next few days.

Unfortunately, iBoss has provoked negative responses from the student body because of the persistent requirements of signing in each time Internet use is needed.

“I hate it because you have to sign in every time you sign into your computer,” sophomore Troy Suwondo said. “It’s worse than iPrism.”

Not only have there been faulty responses by students, teachers who use internet in each class are hurting too.

“I don’t like that I have to log in every time,” Information Technology teacher Jeanette Kleppinger said.

Though to Kleppinger, the new iBoss system isn’t all bad.

“I like having the filter back on for my students so they can be attentive to their educational needs,” Kleppinger said.

So far, the system appears to be plagued with a number of issues. Along with requiring log-ins before each Internet session, occasionally the system will time out and require another log in.

Unfortunately, no information about the state of iBoss and iPrism in the future is known by tech support staff. Stay tuned to Westside Wired for more information on the Internet and Westside technology in the future.