Korean War Veterans Visit Westside Juniors

From left, Dale Griffith, Bill Wirges, Sam Wall and Bill Christensen talking to US History students Tuesday, April 1. Questions about the war and its impact on the four men were asked. Photo by Danylo Serednytsky

Over 326,000 Americans served in the US Military during the Korean War. Tuesday, April 1, US History students at Westside were given the opportunity to sit down with a few of these Americans.

Dale Griffith, Bill Wirges, Sam Wall and Bill Christensen, all Korean War veterans, were able to come to a US History large group and answer questions, both from social studies instructor Nathan Bramley and the students in the class.

“We hope that our students get a first person perspective on why the US fought a war in Korea, and gain an understanding of what life was like for Korean War veterans after the war,” Bramley said.

Griffith, being a substitute teacher for Westside, was contacted by Bramley and asked to speak to the class.

“I contacted Dale and he found three others that he thought would be good for the presentation,” Bramley said.

The 40-minute class was filled with answers to questions like:

“What were your opinions on some of the leaders, both military and civilian, during the war?”

“Why did America send troops to a war fought so far away?”

and “What do you want these students to take away from this presentation?”

“The worst thing that can happen in your life is to lose a loved one, but I’m telling you, the second worst thing that can happen to you is to lose your freedom,” said Wall, one of the veterans.

After the Q & A, the veterans were presented a gift that Bramley had put in order for them: an engraved brick saying “NEVER FORGOTTEN; KOREAN WAR VETS” is to be placed in the brick walk in front of the school.

“We wanted to show our appreciation for something they did for us,” Bramley said.