Girls basketball team has busy first week back

CeCe Gerard
Senior Sydney Hagen makes it past two Bellevue West defenders. The Warriors went on to win the game 80-76.

The girls basketball team has been very busy this week, playing three games in four days against Papillion South, Pius X, and Omaha South.  

Westside dropped a game to Papillion South on Tuesday losing 39-31 getting outscored four to 12 in the fourth quarter.  

The team struggled, only scoring in double digits in the third quarter.

“The biggest issue I thought was finding ways to score against their zone,” said assistant coach Karolyn Cahill.  “Papio South is physical and big, we just could not seem to find gaps in their zone.”

Westside redeemed themselves two days later in a 57-52 victory against Pius X.  Westside picked up the energy and also knocked down tough shots down the stretch.

“For Pius we wanted the team to come out high intensity from the start and to communicate where their three scorers were at,” Cahill said.

Intensity and effort was the deciding factor against Pius X.

“I thought our defensive intensity was, especially first half, was huge.  We shut down their scorers and made their other kids try to beat us,” Cahill said.

Sophomore post Sanai Foster thinks the team was a lot more locked in for the Pius X game, and that was what made the biggest difference in their win.

“I’d say that for one we were way more focused during the Pius game because at Papio South, I feel like we were a little bit too casual,” Foster said.

Foster leads the team in rebounds pulling down seven a game.  Her goal to bounce back after the loss was to stay out of foul trouble so that she could make more of an impact on the court for her team.

“I got fouls early and I needed to use my hands more and be more focused on what I’m doing,” Foster said.  “I was trying to focus more on using my body and moving and shifting around better.”

Westside capped off their busy week with a blow out win over Omaha South 64-40.

They will take on one of the top teams in the state in Millard North on Tuesday.