Boys basketball team takes down Vikings

Gage Vondra

The boys basketball team picked up another win against the Omaha North Vikings. The Warriors are now 16-4 and are preparing for their game against Central on Friday. This being westside’s final week of the season before districts, the Warriors are really locking in. 

Going into the game Omaha North had a record of 17-2, which is a fantastic record going into the last week of the season. With both teams being so talented this game was bound to be a dog fight.

“When we get shots we have good shooters,” Coach Simons said. “Like most teams when the ball goes into the basket you perk up and play a little bit better defensively.”

Senior CJ Mitchell scored 24 points and made 70% of his 20 shots. 

“Big statement win we knew they were good 17-2 coming in and coach is telling us that they are a good team we just knew we had to come in focussed” Mitchell said.

Mitchell came out very strong in this game after having a few off games before. He says his teammates are the reason he played so good against the Vikings.

“My teammates. I was struggling a few games before this and they just kept telling me to play my game and finally I just got out of my shell and had a good game.” Mitchell said.

Going into the second quarter of the game the Warriors had a five point lead, the score being 24-19. The game plan for the team was to shut down their best player and make the other team uncomfortable.

“We mixed in a couple of different things and were trying to trap some ball screens,” Simon said. “The strong kid is obviously a tremendously talented offensive scorer and the other guys play their roles so well. We just wanted to kinda make them think and make them uncomfortable.” 

Another great player during the game was Kevin Stubblefield, who had 20 points and 10 rebounds. The Warriors play Omaha Central on Friday, a very big and physical team also having a record of 14-6. The game is away for the Warriors so it will be a tough atmosphere to play in.

“Not an easy place to play, especially on a Friday night with a lot on the line, ” Simons said “But we told our kids this week what more could you ask for.”