Gross breaks school 5K record

The 2016 record 5k time of 15.37.6 minutes by Milo Greder was once seen as unbeatable. However, as of Sept. 8, Junior Conor Gross ran through the finish line with an astonishing score which was a shock to himself and his team.  Gross broke the record with his  time of 15.31.9 seconds.

Gross was ready to drop time, but did not envision picking up a school record with it. With one year left to go he has already reached his goals. Cutting off 58 seconds in a 5K is not done very often. Now, having already met his senior year goal of breaking the 5k record, he is hungry for more and ready to put in the work. 

“I looked at the time as I crossed the finish line and was astonished,” Gross said. “Breaking the record was a goal I had for next year, this year I just wanted to break 16 minutes.” 

Coach John Preister was equally shocked with Gross’s time. Preister knew that he had it in him to break 16 minutes but the record was a shock to him. As an athlete though Gross has put himself in a position to be successful by staying consistent. 

“Conor is a self-starter, he is motivated and wants to do everything he can to make himself better,” Preister says. “He’s the type of athlete that does not cut any corners.” 

A new course and seemingly fast course for westside cross country for seniors Claire white and Stella Miner dropped a tremendous amount of time as well. The team was lucky enough to also have a chance to run with some of the best runners in the state making a more competitive race. 

“It was a fast course but I credit my time more to the competition,” Gross said. 

Placing 7th overall at the Platte River Rumble, Gross’s goal is now to place in the top seven at state. Gross will be one athlete to keep an eye on.