Westside Counselor wins the Bravo Award

Westside High School Counselor Vicki Londer was this years recipient of the Bravo Award. The Bravo Award is an award given through the Westside Foundation and recognizes teachers who tap the unique academic, social, emotional talents of students and who helps to inspire students.

“I come to work everyday and I don’t really think about doing what I do for recognition, but it was amazing to have people take the time to fill out an application for me and recognize all the things that I do.” Londer said.

Londer has been a counselor here at Westside for 15 years. She specifically enjoys helping at risk children and children who suffer from poverty. Londer uses her passion of helping people to give back to the Westside Community in a variety of ways such as arranging food pantry deliveries and gathering extra school supplies for kids in need.

“I just love having those relationships with kids and being that person for them if they don’t have anyone else to help encourage them”

Londer was given the opportunity to be a college counselor this year, so she was able to further extend her love of helping students beyond just the high school. Londer spends her time helping students apply to colleges and arranging rides to college visits for students who are not able to get there on their own.

“Just knowing that taking that extra five minutes no matter how busy you are…..just taking that extra time can really have an impact on a kid, and that for me is the best part.” Londer said.