Could Westside benefit from a four-day school week?

Conestoga School District is located roughly 40 minutes away in Murray, Nebraska. Conestoga schools started giving students a four-day school week to help them save money when they faced a decline in funding three years ago, in 2013. The district isn’t alone in having a four-day week, at least eight school districts in Nebraska have already implemented the idea.

The idea for the four-day week came after Conestoga schools saw a 1.5 million dollar decrease in State Aid. After cutting a variety of programs and reducing staff there was still a need for more savings. Being a rural school, a large part of the schools spending was used on transportation for the students. By cutting just one day 20% of the transportation budget was eliminated.

The budget issues Conestoga was faced with three years ago were very similar to the those Westside is facing right now.

So would Westside benefit from a four-day school week?

“I think the five day versus the four-day just works better because some students would see the extra day as a day off. I wouldn’t put it past us though if somewhere down the line it was considered,” Administrator Aaron Brendenkamp said.

Based on statistics provided by the Conestoga school system, the district saved about $100,000 by cutting one day out of the school week. For them, the majority of the savings came from busing. Other things were utilities and reduced sub costs because teachers were given less sick days.  Many students in the Westside District do use buses to help get them to and from school everyday and cutting one day would result in major savings.

A major concern among parents is that test scores will decrease. While there has been no actual studies done to prove that a longer weekend improves test scores, Conestoga and many other schools have seen an increase. Some believe the longer weekend gives students extra rest and there is no “Wednesday hump” to get over. A four-day week is easier to prepare yourself for.

After experiencing the change, 90% of the junior high/high school parents approve and would not go back to the four-day week.

“It could work for everyone. As an administrator, there are other issues to be concerned about related to remaining accredited by the Department of Education,” Conestoga Principal David Friedli said. “Accreditation standards for time and class credit are set based on a 180-day calendar. Adjusting the school schedule to keep the hours high enough for individual classes in order to be accredited is a challenge.  It’s not insurmountable…an administrator simply needs to be creative and work at it.”