Students learn academic English while keeping up with classes

English Language Learners (ELL) is a class at Westside many students aren’t necessarily familiar with.  The majority of Westside students have grown up within the United States, speaking English as their first language, though, there are students at Westside who grew up with speaking a different language, thus finding it necessary to work extra in order to keep up with classes and language skills.

“There are many factors that affect language learning,” language instructor Julie Shields said. “The amount of English they already know, their literacy level in their first language, the amount of formal education they have had, their motivation level, and their parents’ education level,” Shields said.

The objective of the ELL course is for students to advance their language skills and eventually become fluent in English speaking, writing and listening.

“It can take up to twelve years to become fluent in academic English,” Shields said. “It is important to remember that ELL students have double the work load of other students: they are learning both English and class content at the same time.”

Senior Melisa Rana immigrated with her family from Nepal at the age of eight. When she first moved to the US she knew a little English due to British English language classes in Nepal. She struggled with the language when first arriving in the US. Pronunciation was difficult for Rana, she would say something and not understand what she was doing wrong with pronunciation or wording.

“We would learn basic english, grammar, and pronunciation. [For me,] the main thing was to meet other kids who are in the same position as you,” Rana said.

Senior Narjes Aleid is a current ELL student at Westside. She moved from Saudi Arabia at the beginning of the school year with little English capabilities. She had taken English courses before but was not yet fluent in the language. She takes ELL at Westside to become more fluent in the language.

“When I moved I knew a little bit of English but not enough to be fluent,” Aleid said.

Aleid moved to the US when her husband got a scholarship at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. Moving to the US was a big change for her, especially culturally, though she is furthering her knowledge through the Westside’s ELL class.