Physical Education instructors encourage health through social media

When a student finally arrives home after a long day of school, parents love to hear about what they did that day. Westside’s Physical Education (P.E.) instructors are working to make this concept easier for parents of students taking P.E. classes.

P.E. instructor Sally Shepherd started a Facebook page called Westside High School Health/Phys.Ed., that gives parents a better idea of what their kids are doing to maintain their health in class.

“I realized that people, parents especially, think of Physical Education, and compare it to what they did in high school,” Shepherd said. “They don’t really know what we do in our classes, so I wanted to get that out there to parents and have them understand that when their kids come to P.E. classes they are doing something.”

All P.E. instructors are taking part and updating the page by sharing their teachings through videos, podcasts, and step-by-step workouts.

“Facebook appealed to a lot more people, so we started doing a Workout Warrior of the Week, and the parents really like to see that too,” Shepherd said. “We’ve gotten a lot of positive responses.”

Posts will continue to be shared on the Health/Phys.Ed. page at least once a week.

“Parents love to see and know what their kids are doing,” Shepherd said. “It’s not just Physical Education to us [teachers], it’s a lifestyle.”