Westside Says Goodbye to Schaefer

On Aug. 31, former culinary manager Sharon Schaefer had to say her goodbyes to the high school. After dedicating four years to revamping Westside’s nutrition program, Schaefer accepted a position at Hiland Dairy where she will continue to work with student nutrition.

Erin Vik, the director of nutrition services for the district views Schaefer leaving as a loss for the district, because her passion for crafting nutritious, enjoyable meals was a talent very few have.

“Obviously the goal is to make sure everyone is fed,” Vik said, “But we like to make food that students like and enjoy as well. It’s a challenge, but Schaefer was able to do that.”

Schaefer worked during a difficult time for school lunches, because new guidelines were being set forth and most of the menu had to be revamped. She struggled with balancing what student’s wanted while still staying within the limitations set forth by the government. However, Schaefer was still able to shy away from the stereotypical school lunch and worked hard to create more options for students.

“Schaefer put a lot of her personal touches on the menu,” cafeteria staff Rose Kent said, “She thought of what she wanted to see at a restaurant and always tried to implement that here.”

While the district is in the process of recruiting a new culinary manager, Kent thinks finding someone as passionate and creative as Schaefer may be a challenge.

“I have all the confidence in the world that Mr. Vik will find a new culinary manager,” Kent said, “But I don’t think we’ll ever be able to replace Schaefer.”