New Pilot Program Offers Alternative to Seniors

After years of the same old same old, Senior Project has changed and become the Lighthouse Project. The Lighthouse Project was announced last year and has provided new alternatives to the traditional senior project class starting this year. Last year, it was announced that seniors can do their senior project through the CAPS program, or with selected department representatives in the school. Over the summer, administration met with teachers to set up an additional pilot pathway, the Triad Model.

The Triad Model is an option for students who have experience and/or interest in a certain subject. The project will have a student and teacher paired up based on the subject the student expressed interest in. From there, the student-teacher pair will work throughout the year learning more about the field, how to get into it and ultimately creating or participating in a “final experience”. The final experience will have the student create an authentic activity or problem solving experience.

The purpose of creating the project was to create an in-depth and personalized experience for students who have an identified interest in a particular area according to administrator Kimberly DeLaCruz.

“For students who already have an identified interest in a specific area and have lots of experiences already, they know their interest in it, and they’re ready to go a lot more in depth with it, I would say this would be a good option for those students,” DeLaCruz said.

Since the project is hands-on between the student and instructor, enrollment is limited. To be a part of the project, students must fill out an application and submit it for review to be accepted. The application is available today and is due by 4pm on Monday, August 24th.