Alumni give advice to seniors before graduation

As the seniors move on to the rest of their lives, here is some advice from alumni of Westside talking about their experiences in college. This is what they thought was necessary for seniors to know before taking the next step in their lives.

Anna Skold – 2013

What advice would you give to the seniors as they graduate and move on?

“Branch out. Realize there’s so many amazing people and experiences out there. So try new things, meet new people and step outside of your comfort zone. College is the time to try new things.”

What was the best advice you received before you went to college?

“Everyone always says it goes by so quickly and [to] enjoy each moment of that. They were so right. I’m not even halfway done and I can’t believe it.”

What have you learned with your experience in college and in the real world?

“Many things! First, to surround yourself with people who make you happy and a better person. Also the amount of effort it takes to work hard in class. It’s so worth it to put in the extra work, show up to class and be the best student you can be. Lastly to enjoy the moment! Like I said earlier, it goes by so fast so really take in each and every moment you have. There will be hard and difficult days but the happy and amazing ones are worth it. Stick with it and don’t be afraid to make mistakes.”

Kate Bowling – 2011

“Enjoy every moment. Believe it or not you will miss things and after high school time just goes that much faster. So, to enjoy every moment that you have.”

“College is a very exciting time. It’s a time where you learn more about yourself, what degree you want to go into. It’s a time to find out your passions. Don’t rush out of college. Go with the intent that you’re going to find something that you enjoy and that will hopefully give you a good career.”

“You never know who you’re going to meet. Be cautious of who is around you. They could be your future employees or employers or co-workers. Just make good contact with people.”

Paul Hauptman – 1998

“I think you really need to start thinking about what you are truly interested in (if you haven’t already).  When you talk about a career, you are talking about the rest of your life.  You will be doing the same job day after day and you have to truly like what you do or you will be miserable.  You can always go back to school and change careers, but it’s a lot tougher as you get older.  Going along with that, I would consider this a lot more than how much money you will make with a career.  You have to at least like what you do to be truly happy.”

“I think the best advice I received was from my dad who said that it really doesn’t matter how much money you make or how many degrees you have, as long as you are happy and helping people.”

“It’s A LOT different from high school.  A LOT different.  I think what stands out to me the most is hearing the complaints from students about how difficult a class is, how certain teachers aren’t helping, or how the information learned in school is not useful.  I guess I would respond:  “Well, get ready for the real world.”  Nobody really cares about “fair” and your boss is not going to give you step-by-step instructions on how to get a job done–she/he will expect you to just get it done.  When students complain about having to teach themselves in certain classes, I just think about how much of that they are going to have to do when they leave here.  Being able to be responsible for your own education and to make the most of what you are given is an extremely valuable skill to have for the real world.”