Foreign exchange student gets unique musical opportunity

For many Westside students, vocal music plays a big part in both curricular and extracurricular activities. This holds true for Swedish foreign exchange student Sara Modig, as well. Since coming to Westside, she has been in a musical (the theater department’s 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee) and choir’s annual fundraiser (Cabaret Night). Recently, she was given a spot to sing in a ballad for Simply Irresistible (SI), Westside’s all-girl show choir.

“When I discovered Westside [before coming to the United States]…I searched on Youtube all these videos of [the Amazing Technicolor Show Choir] and Simply Irresistible and was like, ‘Oh my gosh that looks amazing. I want to do that,’” Modig said.

Unfortunately, tryouts had already taken place when she got to Westside. This prompted her to join ATSC’s stagecrew. Still, Modig’s chances of being a part of a show choir performance while at Westside were slim.

“When I came here, I knew I wasn’t able to do it,” Modig said. “It made me very sad, of course, but I also understood because it’s very competitive and they’ve been practicing for a long time. People have been in show choir since they were in middle school.”

Luckily for Modig, her chance came through when a spot in SI became available after a member dropped out during the fall.

“I chose to allow her to sing the ballad portion of the show,” SI director Kyle Avery said. “It involves no dancing, but we were glad to have her voice in the show.”

The ballad, located in the middle of the groups performance, is strictly singing without dancing. Thus allowing Modig to be a part of the song as she hasn’t learned any of the dances required for the other songs the group will perform. Still, for the first time, Modig will be part of show choir at Westside.

“I didn’t cry, but I was really, really happy,” Modig said. “I’m happy that a lot of girls have been really welcoming because it’s hard for me to come in afterwards and people be like, ‘Well, she wasn’t here for auditions so should she be implemented into the program?’”

Now, as a member of ATSC stage crew and the ballad portion of SI, Modig will continue the rest of the year in the music program. According to Avery Modig will be able to travel with SI to all competitions after the first in Kansas City taking place in early January. Along with this, she will be able to learn a dance number with the group at the end of the year.

“She’s really involved herself a lot with our music program, and she should; she’s amazing,” Avery said. “If you haven’t had a chance to hear her sing, she’s great.”