THE RUNWAY: Triplets use modeling to channel individuality

Juniors Isabell, Liese and Lily Rashid sit in the Westside courtyard Friday, Oct. 31. The Rashid triplets have been modeling since they were freshmen. Photo by Jakob Phillips

Triplet juniors Liese, Lily and Isabell Rashid appear indistinguishable to strangers passing them in the halls, but once they stepped foot on the runway in Kansas City Fashion Week, their individuality could shine through.

It shone through the way Liese moved with complete elegance and poise.

Through the way Lily met the audience with a smirk at the end of the catwalk.

Through the way Isabell’s powerful strides reached the floor each step.

Modeling, however, wasn’t always that easy.

Their journey started freshman year when a friend of the family introduced them to Select Model Management in Bennington, Nebraska.

The triplets took lessons there to learn the basics of modeling. They also acquired two agents.

The girls gained experience in the industry, which helped them get jobs at Taco Johns, Gordman’s, Hy-vee, local boutiques and Kansas City Fashion Week.

The girls appreciate the individuality they are given credit for while modeling.

“The judges are really picky about what they want, and they see our differences that regular people just don’t notice,” Isabell said.

The Rashid sisters agree it’s nice getting paid for their jobs, but the most satisfying reward is the pure enjoyment they feel.

“I like modeling because it’s always really fun to meet new people and be around them,” Lily said. “It is a great experience.”

The triplets feel it’s difficult to portray their individuality while practicing with other models.

“Sometimes it’s intimidating [at castings] because we blend in with everyone,” Liese said.

Overall modeling has positively impacted their lives and introduced them to an array of possibilities.

“It’s good to be learning about this industry, not only modeling, but also in hair and makeup, photography and wardrobe styling,” Lily said.

They can each see themselves working in this environment, not as models, but in fashion business merchandising.

They are thankful for the assistance modeling has given after transferring to Westside High School from Mercy High School at the start of the 2014 school year.

“Going to castings and talking to [people] has helped us coming to Westside,” Isabell said. “We can be more open with people.”

The girls knew few people at Westside, but have made an abundance of new friends.

“People call us the triplets a lot,” Liese said.

They find it hard to be individuals at school because they are categorized as one person to friends.

At the end of the day, modeling is a fun, stress free outlet for the girls.

When Liese, Lily, and Isabell walk down the hallway they are ”the triplets,” commonly mixed up, but as they each glide down the runway at Kansas City Fashion Week in five-inch heels they are unique individuals.

This story was first published in Issue Three of the Lance, which came out Friday, Nov. 7. Read the rest here: