Student cell phone usage leads to new IMC rules

Cell phone use has been a common scene in the Westside hallways since 2011, when the administration began allowing students to use them during passing periods. This year, the Social Studies IMC is the first to join in on cell phone leniency by becoming the first IMC in the building to allow use.

“A lot of kids use their phones at times for academic purposes like looking things up or some teachers use Remind 101 to give kids updates,” social studies instructor Otis Seals said. “The point is to have kids learn the correct time to use their phone to be successful.”

This new rule comes with parameters. Cell phone use in the Social Studies IMC is not allowed for loud or distracting activities such as making calls, playing music and playing games.

Although the Social Studies IMC was the first to make the move to change policy, others are rethinking their policy, as well. Starting Monday, August 25, phones will be allowed in the Math IMC, and, according to English instructor Molly Spisak, phones are allowed in the English IMC as long as they are used for academic purposes such as listening to music or using a calculator. With this change, both students and teachers will soon be acquainted to their new working conditions.

“If everyone were to use it responsibly, it could come to pass,” English instructor Andrew Easton said. “It has to be a part of the workspace and environment you are comfortable with.”