New Google accounts: necessary backups for students and staff

Courtesy of Google Inc.

Next year, as the district gets new computers, it will also see updates of the Google accounts as well. All Google accounts, which have been issued to both students and teachers, will be deleted and recreated for all students this upcoming year.

Starting June 1, all student files on Google Doc accounts will be deleted. That being said, all student files that are saved onto a Google Doc need to be saved and backed up before the end of the year.

Sharing a google document or folder with a non-Westside google account will not protect it from being deleted when the Westside account is deleted. Staff Google accounts will be modified so that the log in information will be the same district-wide, for consistency.

These changes only apply to Westside66.net Google accounts, not personal ones.

Next year, after the change, it will allow students and staff to use the Westside Google domain to store documents year-round.

“It is the goal of the technology team to try and make the use of technology as easy for you to use in your classroom as possible,” said District 66 Director of Technology Paul D. Lindgren.

Next fall the new system will allow students and staff to use the same password for all the Westside accounts, like Blackboard, Google Docs, Pearson, Wikis, computers and other accounts.

Resources for Backing up Google Drive:
Google provides for a way to export all documents. The service is called ëGoogle Takeoutí. You can find a summary of this service and directions here.

Link to Google Takeout here.

Takeout FAQ here.